Sunday, January 6, 2008

2 random scotch observations

I hope to expand on each of these in the future.

1. I ordered a Laphroaig 10 neat at a bar yesterday. As I walked around talking to buddies, it was clearly that I had the "richest" smelling drink around. Hearing what folks thought it smelled like was amusing to me. Among the descriptions were: shit, rubbing alcohol, feet, and my favorite: beef jerky. The latter observation is what draws me to Islays like Laphroaig. I enjoy the barbecue and smoke flavors from the peat over anything else. Liquid beef jerky, if you will.

2. To get an idea of how peat actually smells, try separating it from the alcohol. The best way I have found to do this is by dropping one drop of your favorite Islay scotch on your palm. Rub it into your palm and take a whiff. That's peat. Smokey, barbecue-like. This smell really comes out when the competing "rubbing alcohol" smell is cordoned off.

No comments: